Sunday, June 05, 2005

Photo #25: Nekobasu!


It's good to know that I own a very cool thing. The Nekobus or the cat bus is a cat that is a bus. Nekobasu is my friend and I love him very much. Nekobasu is a character in Tonari no Totoro. One day I must buy that movie so I can watch it over and over again! (not kidding)

My Neighbor Totoro is that rare delight, a family film that appeals to children and adults alike. While their mother is in the hospital, 10-year-old Satsuki and 4-year-old Mei move into an old-fashioned house in the country with their professor father. At the foot of an enormous camphor tree, Mei discovers the nest of King Totoro, a giant forest spirit who resembles an enormous bunny rabbit. Mei and Satsuki learn that Totoro makes the trees grow, and when he flies over the countryside or roars in his thunderous voice, the winds blow. Totoro becomes the protector of the two sisters, watching over them when they wait for their father, and carrying them over the forests on an enchanted journey. When the children worry about their mother, Totoro sends them to visit her via a Catbus, a magical, multilegged creature with a grin the Cheshire Cat might envy.

UPDATE: Shock & Awe!!! You can download Totoro's theme here! Download, listen and cry happy tears!




6 comments:

Moocko said...

Man, I grew up with Totoro! Where did you get the "cat bus"? Personally I'd love an army (but a real, LIVING one) of those black little dirt monsters! What were they called in the Swedish translation? That's, unfortunately, the only version I've seen. I guess I'd call them "sotapor" or "smutskräk".

Uncle Sammy said...

Nice! I only had my parents when I grew up... :-(
A friend of mine was in Japan and he bought Nekobasu for me. And a tea cup.

Moocko said...

Parents suck. They suck in the same way as Koala sucks, when he beats me and lectures me.

Matthew said...

Whoa, that's cool! One time Totoro and I were at this bar and I don't know what happened, some dude called Totoro a sell-out or something, but whatever it was, Totoro (or the Big T) went nuts! He was knocking over tables and screaming and totally whaling on this skinny punk. Man, that was wild. It took five sheriff deputies to pull him off that guy.

Koala Mentala said...

Yup, sounds just like the Totoro I know.

Anonymous said...

Nekobasu! That's the next thing to be added to my collection. I have a little keychain plushie, but I need a catbus to go along with my trio of O Totoro, Chu, and Chibi. :-)