Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Long-Term Employee Fired for Blogging

Via Cory Doctorow and Neil Gaiman, among others, we learn that a guy who worked at a bookstore for 11 years was recently fired for occasionally blogging about work in a satirical manner:

Shortly before Christmas, in the spirit of that season, my manager at Waterstone’s asked me to come into the office. Within a few, short moments I was told that for comments I had posted on this web site I was now subject to an enquiry to determine if I should face a disciplinary hearing for ‘gross misconduct’ because I had ‘brought the company into disrepute’. I was informed (more than once) that this could cause my dismissal.

[...]

I am now free to discuss what happened for the brutally simple reason that Waterstone’s dismissed me from my job yesterday.

(This story is ongoing.)

And you know what? It turns out that a lot of people have been fired for blogging!

Unsurprisingly, this is something many bloggers feel very strongly about. (Nutjobs!)

Clearly Superblog!!'s contributors don't get the respect we're entitled to, considering what a hazardous field we're in.

No comments: