Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Pawn Shop Adventures


Pardon me for not blogging until now but I've been busy taking advantage of other people's misfortunes. In short, I've been to Linkoping's monthly pawn shop auction. I wish that Superblog!! could start to pay off soon so I could buy new stuff, but until then I'm fine with used DVDs. I'm also pleased by the fact that the junkies of Linkoping who stole them in the first place can get their drugs. Marcet economy. Everybody wins!

Some of the DVDs I bought today: The Godfather: part II and III, Donnie Brasco, The Patriot (with Steven Seagal).

Mr. Seagal must be seriously out of touch with his audience. People who go see his movies expect action, violence, stunts and martial-arts combat: what they get here instead are a lot of boring speeches and sequences teaching us that oriental/traditional remedies are better than western medicine, that biological warfare is a bad thing, that militia members are a bunch of overweight or underage weirdos in camouflage outfits, that native americans (especially their elder) are always wise and peaceful and so on.I thought "On Deadly Ground" and "The Glimmer Man" were bad, but compared to "The Patriot" they both look like serious contenders for an Oscar. There's more action in a Meg Ryan picture than in this film.

Well, I can live with that review. I got 18 DVDs for 300 kronor which is like $40 and whoever has the most DVDs when he dies wins.

6 comments:

katiedid said...

I take issue with one statement in that review: "People who go see his movies expect action, violence, stunts and martial-arts combat". That's not entirely true. When I go see his movies I expect to see a badly aging and very bloated Seagal hand off all fight sequences to an obvious stunt double. Unless it's closeups, in which case Mr. Seagal prefers to do his own work, so that we may better count how many chins he's got now. I also expect to hear him deliver his dialogue so slowly and woodenly that I begin to believe Seagal thinks he's portraying an Ent from Lord of the Rings.

My new favorite Steven Seagal link

Koala Mentala said...

When I go home after a Steven Seagal movie I always secretly hope someone will try to mug me so I can put into practice all the kewl martial arts moves I've picked up.

No, wait, I don't go to Steven Seagal movies.

katiedid said...

Oh alright, I don't really go to a theater to see his movies either. But I am always amused by them when they pop up on TV. Who doesn't love unintentional comedies?

Moocko said...

It's not like we have the opportunity to GO to a Steven Seagal-movie in Sweden - direct-to-video, ya kno.

Uncle Sammy said...

Funny... I always thought Moocko would be the one killing us. When I recover from this I'll try that evil machine.

Koala Mentala said...

In the future, I will write a Superblog!! entry about that machine, and all will rejoice.