Friday, August 18, 2006

KoalaCam #16: Reading is for Sissies



I know it doesn't seem like it cos I act all stupid on the Internet and stuff, but I'm actually pretty smart and I read a hell of a lot. I've read Dostoevsky and Milton and Shakespeare and shit like that. So when I was hit with 10 questions about books, I had to accept the challenge - or DIE TRYING.

1) A book that changed my life:

Alan Warner's The Man Who Walks. It made me walk more.

2) A book I've read more than once:

I'll pick George Orwell's 1984. Because it stays relevant. (I'm also fond of Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut.)

3) A book I'd take to a desert island:

How To Get Off A Fucking Island. Just kidding.

1001 Innovative Masturbation Techniques. Still kidding.

In all seriousness: The Holy Bible by God. What little I've read of the Old Testament has been pretty sick and disturbing, so it seems promising. And hopefully I wouldn't be stranded alone on the island, so I could read my favorite parts out loud to my companions. Again and again and again. Annoying people - it's what I do best.

4) A book that made me laugh:

Books almost never make me laugh. But I do remember laughing at Snake 'n' Bacon's Cartoon Cabaret by Michael Kupperman a few years ago. It's a comic book. A comical comic book. Goddamn sex blimp!

5) A book that made me cry:

Girlfriend in a Coma by Douglas Coupland. But the latter half was crappy, and I've been slightly disappointed by everything I've read by him since.

6) A book I wish had been written:

To Be Drunk And Perform Various Tasks. Briefly considered as a project by and for the creators of SUPERBLOG!! back in the last century. (It's not too late yet, I guess.)

7) A book that should never have been written:

Stupid category. All books deserve to be written, especially the evil ones. I'll pick a book that made me angry instead: Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. It annoyed me because it seemed willfully stupid. My co-blogger, Uncle Sammy, is a big fan of Rand so she's been mentioned on SUPERBLOG!! quite a few times. I diss the book in Swedish (with some quotes in English) here. A is gay!

(Shit, I forgot to include it in the KoalaCam pic.)

8) A book I'm currently reading:

None. As of a few hours ago, I'm between books (unless you count graphic novels - I'm just now reading Eddie Campbell's The Fate of the Artist, included above). But I'll most likely start reading a new book tomorrow. In the last two weeks, I've read a couple of non-fiction books and three or four novels. The best ones were A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (a gift from Moko), and The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett.

9) A book I'm planning to read:

I'll read Ulysses eventually, but probably not until 2008. (Dubliners bored me. Portrait was okay.)

10) Five people I'll send these questions on to:

Uncle Sammy, Goo, Matthew, Afe, and Sara. See link bar to the left for their respective blogs because I'm all linked out from this post. DISCLAIMER: Some or all links in this post may be shitty. I just grabbed them off Google.

See you all in Hell!!

8 comments:

Sara said...

I'm accepting your challenge! I'll probably disappoint you.

1) A book that changed my life:

I was pretty sure that the only reason my parents had me and my younger sister was because they messed up with my older sister after I read "Ender's Game".

2) A book I've read more than once:

"Fried Green Tomatoes". I had nothing better to do either time I read it.

3) A book I'd take to a desert island:

The Kama Sutra. Even if I'm alone, I'll get my jollies from pictures of nekkid people. And my right hand.


4) A book that made me laugh:

"If Chins Could Killl: Confessions of a B Movie Actor" by Bruce Campbell. I'm a fangurl, hardcore. Sorta.

5) A book that made me cry:

The part at the end of "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince". I blame it on my pregnant hormones.

6) A book I wish had been written:

Anything in the "Hitchhickers Guide" series. I wish I could be half as funny as he was.

7) A book that should never have been written:

"Black Boy". I felt guilt for being white 6 pages into that book.

8) A book I'm currently reading:

"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" again. I had nothing else to read.

9) A book I'm planning to read:

"Son of a Witch" if I can ever fucking find it.

10) Five people I'll send these questions on to:

I don't know five people (except the ones who've already been challenged) who can read.

Uncle Sammy said...

Shit will hit the fan.

Scott said...

When you read - The Ten Commandments For Computer Ethics

10 Thou shalt not use a computer to harm other people.
9 Thou shalt not interfere with other people's computer work.
8 Thou shalt not snoop around in other people's files.
7 Thou shalt not use a computer to steal.
6 Thou shalt not use a computer to bear false witness.
5 Thou shalt not use or copy software for which you have not paid.
4 Thou shalt not use other people's computer resources without authorization.
3 Thou shalt not appropriate other people's intellectual output.
2 Thou shalt think about the social consequences of the program you write.
1 Thou shalt use a computer in ways that show consideration and respect.

Matthew said...

AS a Soulfucter are supposed to post our answers on our own blogs or on SoulFukt?

Koala Mentala said...

That's a very good question, Matthew, and I'm glad you asked it.

Sara's list wasn't too shabby but the only thing on it I've read and liked is Ender's Game.

Anonymous said...

Jag visste väl det...*ler hemlighetsfullt*
Bra jobbat!

Somebodyiusedtoknow said...

Bra Jobbet??

I don't know what that means in Swedish, but the sound of it sure makes me laugh!

My book list!

Anonymous said...

sorry for my Swedish - "bra jobbat" means "good work" ;-)