Thursday, June 07, 2007

2007: The Year of Watching DVDs, Part 20: TV, TV, TV, Film



I watched the entire IMDb top 250 list and now I'm watching everything else. I am the Watcher.

Weeds, Season 1 (10 episodes) (2005)
I thought Mary-Louise Parker (MLP) was attractive in Angels in America (reviewed in Part 17/18) but in Weeds, she's a total MILF. Which a later episode actually makes explicit. I mean that some characters refers to her as a MILF. That's what I mean. Justin Kirk was in Angels in America also and I didn't like him in Weeds at first because I thought he was too much of a wacky sitcom character, but he's grown on me and now he's one of my favorite characters. It's like I told my pal Booger, I wish I could become cool like Justin Kirk's character in Weeds, but in my heart I know the best I can hope for is to be cool like Kevin Nealon's character in Weeds, which isn't really that bad anyway because he's also pretty cool. Only in a way which girls find less attractive. But personally I find Kevin Nealon's character in Weeds very appealing. Not in a sexual way, but I wish he was my best friend or something. Anyway, I like Weeds. It has witty dialogue and stuff. And some drama. I feel for Mary-Louise Parker's character, even if she is a dealer of drugs, one might almost say, a drug dealer.



Penn & Teller: Bullshit!, Season 2 (13 episodes) (2004)
Another Showtime show. The worst thing about Showtime is that their stupid website is closed to more than 95 percent of the world's population. Idiots! Anyway. I like this season better than the first one (reviewed in Part 11. Maybe because it's mellowed out, there's less of Penn saying "this FUCKING asshole" (not that there's anything wrong with that) and more pseudo-intrepid pseudo-journalism.


Weeds, Season 2 (12 episodes) (2006)
Weeds strives for a delicate balance between comedy and drama and at best it reminds me of Ed, only better, or even Six Feet Under, only not quite as good. I like that MLP seems like she's slightly tipsy in almost every scene. I guess she's like that as a person. I fucking hate Silas, the elder son, but he's convincing as an overprivileged teenage brat. I even like Kirk's character's sitcom antics. But! This season turns kind of crap towards the end. It goes entirely overboard in the last episode, sacrificing believability and drama for wacky, overblown dramedy. Kind of like Nip/Tuck eventually did, come to think of it. I'll be watching the third season when it starts this fall, but I fear there's a good chance Weeds has already jumped the shark.



Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)
Audrey Hepburn in her signature role as Holly Golightly opposite the leader of the A-Team. Charming. I love the intro. How nice it must be to walk the streets at dawn, having been up all night, but still being neither drunk nor hung-over. I must try that some time. Mickey Rooney plays an incredibly offensive Japanese stereotype. Check it out:

3 comments:

Moocko said...

The funny thing is that Koala kind of IS Mr. Nealon, albeit a little more sadistic and dark. He doesn't do drugs, although the first f(r)iend of mine I would expect sucking on a cannabis lollipop at work would be him.

Koala Mentala said...

I'll take that as the compliment it is. Even though everybody knows I'm a masochist, not a sadist.

Afe said...

Oh, so Mickey Rooney isn't actually Japanese?